Because i took a few clients to do SEO for them i refreshed my memory with a SEO course: SEO 2018: Complete SEO Training + SEO for WordPress Websites. I did SEO 6-7 years ago but i thought a lot of things have changed and i needed to become up to date. My surprise is that SEO has not changed so much except a couple of new SEO tools have emerged.
So let’s get down to business: below i would like to share with you some tips i have learned in the SEO course. Here they go:
- if you’re just starting out or don’t have high authority backlinks target long tail keywords first, they will bring in shares and links that will increase the domain authority and allow you to compete for broad keywords in the future
- competitor analysis process: find competitors using the tools SpyFU, Alexa and SimilarWeb or manually by seeing who appears on Google search; find similar websites and finally get top keywords.
- tools to find top keywords: SemRush and again SimilarWeb. You should collect keywords which are easier to rank for but bring as much amount of traffic as possible. SpyFU and Alexa don’t worth the effort to research keywords unless you didn’t find enough competitors in the previous step. throw away your television live at slane castleNow SpyFU is the best tool to find competitors and Alexa is the best tool rel=”nofollow”for global ranking. You Smush Image Compression and Optimizationcan also use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner but it analyses only the sCompress JPEG & PNG imagespecific landing page and not the entire domain.
- keyword validation process: validate keywords using Google trends to know which keywords you will keep in your shortlist.
- you can find out your top performing keywords bsey using GoogleWebmasterTool. If multiple pages compete for the same keyword consolidate the information in one page and apply a 301 redirect from the other pages to the consolidated one. If you don’t want to applrel=”nofollow”y the redirect you can add a canonical link to the consolidated page.
- technical factors (on page optimization) include: unique content, altminification tags, H1 tags, content, title tags, header tags, meta description tags, keyword selection and internal link. Technical factors + good content = SEO rankings. Overall: optimize topics and improve readability, use H tags and description, separate meta description in WordPress excerpts, domain + URL authority, larger documents + multimedia content.
- if you want to buy a domain name don’t look for the keyword, instead choose a good brand name and develop it.
- a tool for domain visibility (domain authority) is Moz Open Site Explorer. If you want to increase the domain authority you need to get backlinks from high authority pages.
- create a sitemap using Yoast SEO.